Monday, August 13, 2007

Rove Resigns

When I woke up this morning and logged on to my computer the first headline to filter its way into my groggy brain was the one about Karl Rove deciding to resign from the White House "for the sake" of his family. Paul Gigot has the interview in the Wall Street Journal. I don't know about you, but I've been getting tired of hearing that same old lame excuse -- spending more time with the family -- being trotted out by the ever-lengthening list of resigning Bush administration officials. I was surprised to see this, though, as on the surface it seems like it would now be even more difficult for Bush to claim executive privilege in order to keep Rove from testifying in any number of investigations into this administration's wrongdoings. Obviously I need to think this through a bit more, but it seems to me that spending more time with his family (his son is away at college) can't be the real reason for Rove's departure. I think everyone knows by now that nothing anyone in this gang of "Mayberry Machiavellis" says can be taken at face value. Any thoughts?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

With Enron, and other instances, when a high level architect or CFO resigns to "spend more time with his family" it's usually because the Ships A Goin Down. I think Turd Blossom the boy genius is scared and wants out before things get worse.

Anonymous said...

good always wins over evil. (eventually)

Mark said...

I think Rove accomplished all he set out to do and is now heading off to spend the rest of his days rolling around in a big pile of his ill-gotten gains. There are no more elections facing the Bush administration so really, aside from planning black bag executions of prominent liberals, what's a latter day Joseph Goebbles to do with his time?

Christine said...

Mark, I think you're mostly right. I don't think he accomplished everything he wanted to (a permanent Republican majority, for instance), but he's probably recognized that he's realized as much of his agenda as he's going to at this point. It just seems that with this move Bush is even more vulnerable and more than a lame duck than he was last week.