Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Dweezil Zappa Rocks!

Went to see a great Zappa concert last night. “Zappa Plays Zappa” is Frank Zappa’s oldest son, Dweezil, and other musicians performing Frank’s music with the goal of bringing it to a new generation of fans. At times Dweezil was even accompanied by his father himself: Old footage of Frank playing guitar was synchronized audio-visually on a large video screen so that father and son could actually jam together. It was seriously amazing. In my opinion, this music benefits from having a state-of-the-art sound system behind it, as well as being performed live. I went to this show because my significant other has been a Zappa fan since his tween years. So I had heard plenty of Zappa music around the house before, but I never really "listened." After seeing this show I am now a fan. Dweezil is an amazing guitarist in his own right, and the music, considering how long ago it was originally composed, didn't seem dated in the least. In fact, one can really get a sense now of how far ahead of his time Frank truly was. Here is a clip of dueling guitarists Steve Vai (left) and Dweezil (on the right) from the ZPZ 2006 tour:



I also realized that one reason I never got into Zappa back in the day was simply visual aesthetics. By that I mean that as an adolescent girl I recall being a bit freaked out (no pun intended) by Frank's weird facial hair (hitleresque soul patch, 70s mustache) and bizarre fashion choices (particularly his penchant for performing topless). If Frank's appearance had been more Dweezil-like, I suspect he might have had a more gender-balanced fan base.

Here are the rest of the ZPZ tour dates. If you can make it to one of these shows, go. (Melkweg, anyone?) You won’t be disappointed.

10 comments:

Jim Mortko said...

Dweezil's your boyfriend :-)

Christine said...

Don't I wish.... I hear he's great in the kitchen. (;

Anonymous said...

yeah but I'm great in every room, especially the can.

Joy said...

really funny, I kind of almost wanted to go to this. An old ex got me into Zappa, and I have had St. Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast in my head for weeks!!!
Another note--Steve Vai played with David Lee Roth on his Skyscraper tour back in the 80s..saw them rock the Garden. Did Steve break out his double necked gee-tar???

Jim Mortko said...

Speaking of "Alphonso's Pancake Breakfast" - did you ever see that cooking show Dweezil is on with his wife? Mim and I saw one episode where they hosted a huge pancake breakfast at their house for all their friends. Complete with Frank faces on the pancakes made from various fruits ...

BTW - spazz is pretty good in the can, except when he leaves the shower drain clogged ...

Christine said...

Joy, ZPZ is coming to Kingston. It would be a very fun night out.
JSkills, We only just got cable TV about a month ago (I think we were the last family in america to get it), so I never saw that show. But I am getting way into the food network and stephen colbert these days.

Anonymous said...

fyi they didn't play St. Alphonso this time, no Steve Vai this tour either, but maybe in NY...but they show was awesome regardless! if anyone wants to know the setlist:

Dog Meat (1st time he said)
City of Tiny Lights
Advance Romance
Dumb All Over
What's New In Baltimore
Carolina Hardcore Ecstasy
Suzy Cream Cheese>
Brown Shoes Don't Make it>
America Drinks and Goes Home
Dupree's Paradise (improvision: "Let the Racoon Scratch your face")
Pygmy Twilight ******
Uncle Remus
Willie The Pimp!!?!?!
Yo' Mama ****!!*!
Joe's Garage
Legend of The Illinois Enema Bandit
Wind up Workin' in a Gas Station
San Berdoo
Cosmic Debris (trading licks with Zappa on screen)
Muffin Man

Jim Mortko said...

Cable TV ? Might I suggest ...

Daily Show w/ Jon Stewart
Realtime w/ Bill Mahar
Southpark
Big Ideas for a Small Planet
Intervention

Christine said...

I should have said basic cable. So I think that rules out Bill Maher. But I've been watching the hilarious Daily Show, and will look into the others you mentioned. Thanks for the recommendations!

Anonymous said...

love joe's garage